Swimming Pool Water Treatment Guide - The right pH in your pool water

One of if not the most important factor in the balance of swimming pool water is the pH level which should be tested weekly and corrected as needed in that test. pH is the measurement of how much acid / alkaline pool water has. pH levels are as follows 7.0 = neutral, below 7.0 = acidic, above 7.0 = alkaline. 7.2 in the pH of human eye which is why 7.2 is the ideal pH level of a swimming pool. Pool water pH levels should stay in a range of 7.0 - 7.6.

When pool water pH is too low (acidic) the following will happen:

  • The Body - Due to high acid your eyes and nose will burn, you will get dry & itchy skin and fading and perishing of swimwear will start.
  • Sanitation - Chlorine which is used to disinfect pool water will be activated to fast and go into the atmosphere which means your pool is not being sanitised. Not only is this leaving your health and safety at risk but you are also throwing money away on chlorine when pH level is too low.
  • Corrotion - All metals such as equipment including pumps, pump connections, pipes, pipe fittings and so on will start to corrode at a quicker paise.
  • Sulphates - Ugly brown and black stains will appear on walls and floors which is caused from sulphates released from the water due to walls and metal parts corroding.
  • Tile, Marbelite & Plaster Pools - Surfaces will start to dissolve which will make them rough and give room for algae to grow not looking very nice and again leaving your health and safety at risk.

When pool water pH is too high (alkaline) the following will happen:

  • The Body - Too low pH will also burn a swimmers eyes and nose and make skin dry and itchy due to too much alkaline.
  • Sanitation - Chlorine disinfectant power is lost to the pH rise. 80% of chlorine is wasted when pH is at 8.0 leaving only 20% chlorine to disinfect your pool or you to add five times as much chlorine to keep health and safety levels correct.
  • Calcium Carbonate - Filter stops working correctly, plated up with sand which will turn into cement, turning your filter into a cement filter leaving no ability to trap dirt.
  • Limescale - Calcium and carbonates combined to form scale the same as we get in kettles and washers. This is commonly seen at the water line and will trap dirt and dust causing black lines in time.
  • Water Sparkle - Pool water will turn cloudy and murky losing its nice clean sparkle.

If the correct pH level is neglected in swimming pool water it becomes unsightly, not only that but it will also cause physical discomfort and health risks to swimmers. In addition to that you will be throwing your well earned money away on swimming pool chemicals that will not have any effect in the pool water.

To bring the pools pH level back to about 7.2 you must add the necessary chemicals to the pool water after testing.